Pagine

Post piĆ¹ popolari

15 Jun 2016

Pioneer DV-350 tweak PCM1742 with discrete FET output





 Here we go with an awerage DVD Player by Pioneer chosen among the bunch beacause of its shining guts......
I heard many rumors about the fabulous accomplishment to sounds very good ........I had listened in past DV393 and I know it sounds very good indeed but its first duty remain to play Dvix's in my mother rooms......
Here in my hands this DV560S ..."S" like silver ...ok let's go to repair its power supply , and why not, give a new black colour and now its time to take care of its guts!!!!! ;)
Inside we find a 24bits 192Khz DAC by Burr Brown  the PCM1742
106db signal/noise ratio ......mmmmmmmh not bad indeed! ......but.... how does it sounds?
at first listening (original i mean ) with NJR opamp it sounds very flat and harsh but it not lacks bass ......the sound reasulted compressed and not natural at all.
This is not a good start , but at least it's only a DVD player with SMD components and switching power supply what can we do!??!
I asked to myself " probably there would be a reason because we can find the same chip in the Atoll CD100 MKII
So I designed a simple discrete ooutput stage using Jfets.
The first attempt was surprisingly good, I mean all compression was gone and it breath with all its temper........yep all its temper very arious, detailed,oooh too much detailed with very very good bass overall but its "monitor" temper after few minutes gives headacke ......... was I done?!Did I gave up? :) not indeed! What I heard behind all that was something very good..........

........to be continue












the Burr Brown DAC 24bit 192Khz PCM1742


















........since the first listening session in my mind was soon clear that I should modify the LPF equalization  to carry this device on "Olympus" 
the result?!!...... all  its rich detail remains but smoothered by the new filter , it achieved more room to the middle frequencies  and its deep and dynamic  bass now are unchained and balanced with the rest of the frequency audio range!!!!
Now it's a a very very good CD Player in my opinion (no more DVD player) far 
over the average CD player on market!
It plays music ........not sounds!



No comments:

Post a Comment